A Place of Refuge

Life has become a little more busy lately, but in a good way.  I have found that I can focus on my home and children, while serving and teaching others.  I run a preschool in my basement, tutor and also babysit at home.  Between these responsibilities, I have 15 children (other than my own) coming to my house on a weekly basis.  I absolutely love it!  I love having these adorable kiddos and I learn so much from them every day.  I feel so blessed to be able to open up my home to others and utilize my teaching skills.

As things have become more busy, I have pondered a lot on the word 'refuge'.  I hope to be a good influence to my own children as their characters develop and grow, but I also hope that our home can be a place of refuge for anyone who enters.  A place of belonging, love and understanding.  I think it requires a lot of work, most of which happens behind the scenes.  We have filled our home with good literature, art, music and entertainment.  I searched conference talks to find a magical answer to creating a place of refuge.  Instead, the answer I got was the counsel we've been receiving for years. "Daily personal and family prayer, daily personal and family scripture study, and weekly family home evening are the essential, weight-bearing beams in the construction of a Christ-centered home.  Without these regular practices it will be difficult to find the desired and much-needed peace and refuge from the world."  Richard G. Scott.   So....it looks like I have A LOT of work to do, because I often fall short of my desired potential.

What do you do to make your home a place of refuge?

Comments

  1. I am doing my best to do all those things too. Some are easier than others, really need to work more on having FHE. One of the things I loved growing up was the music played and sung in our home. So I try to have some good, uplifting and music that makes my family and I happy. Most of my good memories of my childhood dealt or connected with music somehow, so I want that for my kids too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post "a place of refuge" I love that you strive that for your Home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay I need some Sarah guidance. I so badly have wanted to run a preschool but just don't know where to begin. Are you using a certain format or just pulling from materials that you used when you were teaching? I'd love some pointers. :) Also I can't imagine your home filled with anything but peace and love. How lucky those 15 kids are to be in your home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to help out! I use a little bit of everything. What's your email?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Leave a note

Popular posts from this blog

I Need Somebody to Listen

Growing Up

This Is His Journey