Line Upon Line
I have a wonderful Church calling. I am privileged to teach the principles and concepts of the Gospel to children ages 3-5. I learn so much through my preparation, but I learn even more from THEM. Children are SO Christlike. They forgive easily and love unconditionally. I am amazed how they soak up each lesson like a sponge.
At the end of each lesson, I like to review previously taught concepts. Young children learn so much through review and repetition. I pulled out a picture of Jesus calming the seas and asked them what they remembered about this story. One girl excitedly raised her hand and said, "There was a storm. Jesus was the only one who didn't know (he was sleeping). They were scared and woke him up. He said 'peace, be still' and the storm went away." I was excited that she remembered so many details.
I pulled out the next picture. It was a picture of Jesus gathering little children. Another girl immediately read the text on the page and said, "Jesus loves the little children." That was the best answer that I could expect, so I went to grab the next picture. The first girl interrupted and said, " Jesus' friends told the children to go away. Jesus was too tired. But Jesus said, 'Bring them! Bring them!" I was AMAZED. I taught that 7 lessons ago and I have not revisited it.
Just as children learn line upon line, we do also. We learn here a little and there a little. We can't expect to learn all there is to know right now. We must build our faith, knowledge, strength, and understanding little bits at a time.
At the end of each lesson, I like to review previously taught concepts. Young children learn so much through review and repetition. I pulled out a picture of Jesus calming the seas and asked them what they remembered about this story. One girl excitedly raised her hand and said, "There was a storm. Jesus was the only one who didn't know (he was sleeping). They were scared and woke him up. He said 'peace, be still' and the storm went away." I was excited that she remembered so many details.
I pulled out the next picture. It was a picture of Jesus gathering little children. Another girl immediately read the text on the page and said, "Jesus loves the little children." That was the best answer that I could expect, so I went to grab the next picture. The first girl interrupted and said, " Jesus' friends told the children to go away. Jesus was too tired. But Jesus said, 'Bring them! Bring them!" I was AMAZED. I taught that 7 lessons ago and I have not revisited it.
Just as children learn line upon line, we do also. We learn here a little and there a little. We can't expect to learn all there is to know right now. We must build our faith, knowledge, strength, and understanding little bits at a time.
Comments
Post a Comment
Leave a note